The report, “A State-by-State Analysis of American
Here are their findings:
- The average 401k balance for blue state voters was $38,616, while the red state plans averaged $31,904. This balance gap has remained steady to this year.
- Between 2008-2011, retirement balances for red-state employees are up 28 percent and have risen 25 percent for blue state employees.
- Mississippi and Delaware have seen the greatest balance increases at 85 percent and 50 percent, respectively.
- Three states with low per-capita income ranked pretty high on retirement plan gains, namely Michigan, Maine and West Virginia.
- Of the 20 top best performing states that made the report's list, four were this year's swing states won by President Obama.